Wrapping up our blog series An Overview of the Penalties for Multiple DUIs in Alabama, below we will provide some additional info that people should know regarding the punishments and impacts of multiple DUIs in Alabama.
In addition to pointing out some of the most common penalties that are handed down by the courts for a fourth DUI conviction, we will also highlight some common non-court-ordered penalties that people may have to contend with in the event they are convicted of multiple DUIs in Alabama.
The best way to minimize the potential negative impacts of multiple DUIs in Alabama is to retain the Montgomery DUI attorneys at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC.
Multiple DUIs in Alabama: Penalties for a Fourth DUI Conviction
- Jail time – A fourth DUI conviction will usually result in at least one year of jail time.
- Court fines – The courts will typically order people to pay fines between $4,100 and $10,100 after a fourth DUI conviction in Alabama. Generally, the greater fines will be assessed in cases that involve DUI accidents, injuries, etc.
- Driver’s license suspension – A fourth DUI conviction will generally result in a person losing his driving privileges for at least 5 years. The term of this suspension can, however, be extended if or when accidents occurred in the course of the drunk driving incident.
Additional Important Info about the Penalties for Multiple DUIs in Alabama
- While the penalties for multiple DUIs in Alabama discussed so far in this blog series have focused on court-ordered penalties, there are a number of other non-court-ordered penalties that people will also likely have to deal with – and some of these can last for years (if not longer). These can include (but are not limited to):
- Loss of one’s job and/or career
- Damage to a person’s reputation
- Increased car insurance rates for years to come.
- Although ignition interlock devices are not necessarily required by law for people with multiple DUIs in Alabama, it’s up to the court to decide if or when to mandate that people have these devices installed on their vehicles.
The bottom line regarding court-ordered and non-court-ordered penalties for multiple DUIs in Alabama is that people facing these DUI charges will have the best possibility of minimizing such penalties by entrusting their defense cases in the hands of the Montgomery and Birmingham DUI defense lawyers at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC.
Montgomery and Birmingham DUI Defense Attorneys at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC
Have you been charged with DUI? If so, you can count on the Montgomery and Birmingham DUI defense lawyers at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC to provide you with superior defense representation at every stage of your case.
For more than 16 years, we have been dedicated to the pursuit of justice in every case we oversee. This makes us effective and consistent at helping our clients obtain the best possible outcomes to their DUI cases, even when these cases involve multiple DUIs in Alabama.
To discuss your case and learn more about your rights, let’s meet for an initial consultation. You can set up this meeting today by calling or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page.
Initial consultations are free in most cases, and evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience.