Resuming 6 Important Stats & Facts about Pedestrian Accidents (Pt. 1), we’ll reveal some more crucial info below that you may want to know about pedestrian accidents.
And, remember, if you have been hurt in any traffic accident caused by a negligent driver, you can turn to Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC for help with your financial recovery.
Pedestrian Accidents: More Important Facts
3 – Pedestrian accidents and hit-and-runs often go hand-in-hand.
Did you know that children and the elderly are often the victims of pedestrian accidents? Here are some important facts to know about pedestrian accidents.
In particular, the NHTSA has reported that about 1 in every 5 fatal pedestrian accidents is also a hit-and-run collision (in which the driver flees the scene after hitting the pedestrian). While there may be a number of different reasons that drivers leave the scene of a pedestrian accident, such as they simply panic after these collisions, it’s not uncommon for the motivation in these cases to be that:
- Motorists fear they have more to lose if they stay at the accident scene (because, for example, they were drunk or otherwise negligent and are afraid of the potential criminal impacts)
- Motorists believe that they can get away with it (because, for instance, the accident occurs at night with little to no witnesses).
Regardless of the reason why drivers may leave the scene of pedestrian accidents, the bottom line is that this action is illegal and that such negligent drivers can end up facing serious criminal penalties if they are eventually caught by police.
4 – Children and the elderly have the greatest risk of being hurt in pedestrian accidents.
This may be one of the more tragic facts about pedestrian accidents, but it is, nevertheless true. The harsh reality is that children and the elderly, who are generally among the more vulnerable people in society, are far more often the victims of pedestrian accidents than other sectors of the population.
In particular, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports:
- More than 20 percent of the children (from ages 5 to 15) who are killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. were involved in pedestrian accidents.
- About 20 percent of all fatal pedestrian accidents involve people who are at least 65 years old.
- About 9 percent of all people injured in pedestrian accidents are people who are at least 65.
To get some final important stats and facts about pedestrian accidents, be sure to read the conclusion to this blog series. It’ll be posted soon.
Montgomery and Birmingham Car Accident Attorneys at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC
Have you or someone you love been hit by a negligent driver? If so, you can rely on the Montgomery and Birmingham car accident lawyers at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC to be aggressive advocates for your rights. For more than 16 years, we have been dedicated to the pursuit of justice in every case we oversee, and our experience, dedication and extensive knowledge of the law makes us effective at helping our clients obtain the best possible outcomes to their cases.